Andrew is the lead attorney for Lambert Coffin’s ERISA, life, and disability insurance practice group. Andrew has dedicated his career to litigating ERISA, life, and disability insurance claims in state and federal courts across the country.
Andrew’s unique, focused experience has given him a familiarity with the particular issues that arise from disability, health, and life insurance claims and the differing laws that govern them. Andrew’s extensive experience allows the firm to represent clients nationwide in a specialized and efficient manner, particularly with regard to policies governed by ERISA, which governs the large majority of group insurance policies in existence. There are very few attorneys representing individuals who have the knowledge and experience comparable to Andrew.
Andrew began his career at a boutique Madison Avenue disability litigation firm in Manhattan before moving to Maine with his wife, Meghan, and son, Liam. While in New York, Andrew was the lead disability litigation attorney at his firm where he was responsible for the firm’s client intake process, disability claim management practice, and disability (ERISA and non-ERISA) litigation practice. In this role, Andrew obtained positive outcomes for his clients, including the following:
- Dimopoulou v. First Unum Life Insurance Company, 13-cv-07159, 2016 WL 612890 (S.D.N.Y. Jan. 25, 2016), in which Andrew’s work led to a reversal of Unum’s decision to deny his client’s claim for long-term disability benefits based upon Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
- Reversed Unum’s denial of client’s long-term disability benefits and restored benefits to 100% of expected multi-million dollar payout.
- Obtained $400,000 settlement on behalf of disabled policyholder in federal litigation.
- Negotiated several successful buyouts of disability contracts.
- Obtained benefits for a large number of clients on their initial application for benefits due to a multitude of medical conditions.
Once in Maine, Andrew worked at a large Portland law firm in a national ERISA litigation practice defending major disability and life insurance carriers against claims (ERISA and non-ERISA alike) for disability and life insurance benefits. In this role, Andrew was exposed to hundreds of ERISA benefit denial litigations and developed a keen familiarity with the pitfalls associated with many claims including, among other things, the following:
- The insurer’s Application of 12 or 24 month limitations under the policy.
- Your alleged failure to provide “objective evidence” of restriction or limitation.
- Your alleged failure to establish a disabling condition.
- Your alleged failure to cooperate with the insurer’s unreasonable demands.
- The insurer’s decision to agree with its paid paper reviewing physicians as opposed to your treating physician(s).
- The insurer’s paid physician sending your physician a misleading letter or calling him/her once, then denying the claim when your physician did not have time to respond.
- In the context of life insurance, your employer’s failure to submit proper paperwork or remit premiums.
Now at Lambert Coffin, Andrew is once again engaging in his passion – helping individuals (regardless of where they live) with their claims for life, health, and disability benefits.
Andrew has developed specialized experience with a multitude of complex medical conditions associated with disability claims including, among others, the following:
- Disc bulges
- Bipolar disorder
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Stress induced ischemia
- Complications from Obesity
- Sjogren’s syndrome
- And many more
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Lyme’s disease
- Autoimmune disease
- Degenerative disc disease
- Plantar fasciitis
- Necrotizing fasciitis
- Cognitive deficits
- Frontal Temporal Dementia
- Meniere’s disease
- Liver disease
Andrew also gives presentations to lawyers and employees on life, health, disability insurance, including ERISA. In addition to his ERISA, life, health, and disability practice, Andrew practices in other areas including commercial litigation, personal injury, employment disputes, and business matters. He also serves as outside counsel for businesses.
HONORS AND DISTINCTIONS
Selected for SuperLawyers New England Rising Stars 2018
Michigan State University College
of Law Juris Doctor, magna cum
West Virginia State University
BA in Economics, magna cum laude
United States District Court for the Northern, Western, and Southern Districts of New York
United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
United States District Court for the District of Maine
United States Court of Appeals Second Circuit
Katahdin Counsel Recognition Award for providing more than 50 hours of legal assistance to low income and elderly Mainers
Volunteer Lawyers Project
Contributing author: DRI Insurance Compendium - The Law of Life Insurance Claims: Key Issues in Each State (2016).
Featured Speaker at American Conference Institute’s ERISA Litigation Conference (2016)