FARM AND FOOD PRODUCTION LAW
With offices in both Portland and Blue Hill, we represent farmers and food producers. The food industry is unique, growing, and has specific legal needs that cannot always be met with a more generalized practice. Mindful of the focused state and federal statutory and regulatory issues for these enterprises, we advise our clients with the goals of helping them to manage their risks, prosper, and for family owned enterprises, endure for successive generations.
The following are examples of topics with dimensions unique to this industry.
- Financing of farms and agricultural liens
- Land use for farms and food production
- Food safety/labeling regulation
- Food product liability
- Seasonal, child, or immigrant employment
- Wage and hour compliance
- Compliance with Maine's Best Management Practices
- Livestock regulation
- Trademarks and branding
- Estate and succession planning
- State and federal taxes
- Regulatory licensing and permitting